Happy Spring! I’ve always been really interested in using all natural products, though I go through phases of being very diligent about it and then not having the energy to care. It really can be very difficult to hunt down the best natural products when most stores don’t sell them (or sell fake natural products). For today’s post, I wanted to share some of the natural products I know I can count on.
- First, I suggest you download the app “Think Dirty.” This app allows you to scan products, and it will give you a health grade and let you know more about the ingredients in your products. The USA FDA is disgustingly lax about what they let us put on and in our bodies here. The first time I used this app with what I had in my bathroom cabinet, around 50% of the products had known carcinogens. A lot more had products like petrolatum and sodium laurel sulfate that dry you out — and these were in my moisturizers and shampoo! It’s really frustrating, but will motivate you to switch to all natural.
- Nourish Organic Moisturizing Cream Facial Cleanser with Cucumber and Watercress: This has a 0 score on Think Dirty, which is the best score! I’ve been using this for a couple of months now, and this is my facial cleanser for life. The cucumber and watercress are so gentle and soothing. The first time I used it, I had really inflamed acne and, the next morning after I used this, it had completely calmed down. I use it to wake my face up in the morning, and to wash my face makeup off in the afternoon. The only downside is that it looks sort of like………………something gross that I don’t want to say. It’s white.
- Badger Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 30: This has a 3 on Think Dirty, which is a clean score. It’s because this product is 18.75% zinc oxide. Zinc Oxide can cause respiratory irritation if inhaled at 25%, so we’re all good! I’ve been trying to be more diligent about sun protection, so I’ve been putting this on every morning. It’s pretty thick, but the whiteness disappears once you rub it in completely.
- Badger Aromatherapy Balms: I keep these by my bedside for stress relief. My mom gave it to me before I moved to the city, and I put it on my temples and wrists after a stressful day.
- BeeFriendly Night Cream, Facial Serum, and Exfoliator: BeeFriendly Skincare is a wonderful company, because all of their products come from Hawaiian bee keepers. They aren’t in the Think Dirty Database, but I don’t need an app to tell me that this stuff is all natural. For example, the night cream consists of water, olive oil, beeswax with pollen and propolis (from Wikipedia: “a resinous mixture that honey bees produce by mixing saliva and beeswax with exudate gathered from tree buds, sap flows, or other botanical sources”), raw Hawaiian honey, vitamin E, geranium essential oil, and lemon essential oil. When rubbed in thoroughly, it makes my skin visibly softer. I’ve read some reviews that it causes people to break out, so beware if you’re sensitive!
Stay tuned for my review of The Seaweed Bath Company’s products! Coming next week!
Thanks for reading!